The Patissiere // 1.4.18

Yesterday was my day off. As is my wont, I got a coffee and a bacon-egg-and-cheese croissant from Dunkin Donuts and went to Unnameable Books, perhaps the best bookstore in New York. Looking through their poetry I found a copy of James Tate’s Selected, and Paul Auster’s Collected. I’ve never read any Paul Auster, but my pal Niall Power loves the man, so I thought I might buy him the copy. Flipping open the book, I found on the book’s first page a purple Post-it (pictured), addressed to some person named Mark and signed, “Paul A.” I also saw a sheet of paper folded in half tucked into the middle of the book, which I didn’t pay much attention to. The note reads:

Mark-
After reading your piece on “nothing,” I thought this might say something to you.
I am entrusting Jessica to pass it on + hope you are well.
Paul A.


I thought the Post-it a nifty souvenir, likely from Paul A. himself, so I bought the book for Niall. Looking at the book again a few hours later, I realized the folded paper was a poem:

The Patissiere
(Homage to Mark Strand-after The Guardian)

The scone is tempting. My mouth’s desire
The lost art, the lost rite.
Why do I love the flavor?

You who ate, who were eating,
What baked gems do you ingest?
Patissiere of my taste,

perfect my appetite. I am hungry.


The brunt of my discovery did not hit me until after another few hours. This book I held must have been Mark Strand’s copy; Strand did indeed write a piece on nothing. And Paul Auster does have at least some fond relationship with patisseries. Which leads me to believe—and I guess the proof is not definitive, but it is compelling—I perhaps have discovered an unpublished Paul Auster poem.

If anyone has a line on Auster (Strand, sadly, has passed), and would check with him for me, I’d love that, though if he wants to retrieve the book and accompanying notes, he’ll have to get in touch with Niall. And for all interested, Niall’s first book, Fall Risk, a collection of short stories and poetry, is being published this month by Michelkin Publishing, and will be available very shortly. It’s very good, and I recommend you all go buy it, and read it, but especially buy it.